While many still go online using their desktop computer or laptop, there are now just as many who use a mobile device, be it their phone or tablet. It’s easy to access and checking email or Facebook on the go is better than waiting until you get home.
Because of this surge in mobile activity however, as a business, you have to also consider making your website and content mobile-friendly. The last thing you want to do is alienate your audience who is already turning to mobile devices for everything.
The question now is, how to get started. Here’s a few quick tips on how to make your content mobile-friendly for increased traffic and engagement.
- Employ responsive design: According to a blog entry on Duct Tape Marketing, “responsive design is design that responds to the viewing environment and adapts layout, orientation and size based on the screen. Design elements, images and text adapt via CSS rather than plugins or add-ons.” In layman’s terms, it makes your website friendly for mobile devices. To get a more in-depth look on how to use responsive design for your website, go here.
- Make your content touch-screen friendly: Phones and tablets don’t have the luxury of a point-and-click mouse and even some desktop computer monitors have a touch-screen. Make sure your content is touch-screen friendly. According to a blog entry on Search Engine People, “add touch-friendly elements like carousels, accordions, panels and drawers.” To learn about these elements and others you can use, Search Engine People suggests going here. They also suggest following the rules iOS and Android devices have in place to help create your touch-screen friendly website and content.
- When writing, make your content important, but short: The last thing someone using their mobile device is going to want to do is scroll through a giant wall of text. Considering the short attention span people have online anyway, this isn’t beneficial. When writing content for mobile users, keep it important, let your message be known but also keep it short and sweet. Search Engine People have the following suggestions for doing this:
- Create a relevant, eye-catching headline that makes people want to read more.
- “Position the most important pieces of information at the top of the webpage.”
- Break up the text into sections or parts if you have a lengthy article.
- “Choose only the information that your users really want and need. These may include your address, contact number and business hours.”