A few years ago you might have been forgiven for thinking Twitter was just another passing fad, not something your business should be wasting time on.
However, the truth is that since its launch less than 5 years ago Twitter has enjoyed explosive growth and become an important player in the new media world. There are now estimated to be over 200 million Twitter users generating over 90 million “tweets” per day.
Far from being an inconsequential fad, Twitter can now be considered a viable and extremely effective part of your company’s marketing mix. Consider these statistics from two recent surveys:
- Twitter users are more educated and earn higher incomes than the general US population. (According to Edison Research April 2010).
- Twitter users tend to be earlier adopters of new products and technology than the general population (says Edison Research).
- 42% claim to use Twitter to learn about new products and services while 31% ask opinions about products and services via Twitter (Edison)
- 28% use Twitter to look for discounts or sales while 21% use Twitter to purchase products or services (Edison).
- Another 19% use Twitter to seek customer support (Edison).
- A separate survey in early 2010 revealed that 67% of US Twitter users are more likely to buy brands they follow (source: Chadwick Martin Bailey & Imoderate Research Technologies).
Certainly here at Sticky we have witnessed the power of a strong presence on Twitter, with both this agency and many clients benefiting from conversing in 140 characters. The above statistics come as no surprise to us. we often say that becoming highly active on Twitter has been one of the best business decisions we ever made. Twitter has become a crucial part of Sticky’s inbound marketing strategy.
So the question is….. if your business would like to attract more educated, higher income early adopters, why aren’t you on Twitter?